2 day course, £595 per person (Plus VAT. Early bird and Group pricing available)
This 2 day Tableau Desktop training intermediate course is designed for the professional who has a solid foundation with Tableau and is looking to take it to the next level. Attendees should have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts of building Tableau worksheets and dashboards.
At the end of this course you will be able to communicate insights more effectively, enabling your organisation to make better decisions, quickly.
This 2 Day Tableau training course is aimed at analysts used to working with BI tools or non-analysts (as above) who have preferably been using Tableau for basic reporting.
The course includes the following topics:
Recap on what I should already know
- Query Sequence
- Charts & Dashboard Revision
- Measure Values and Measure Names
What Ways Can I Connect To My Data?
- Building and editing re-usable Data Source Connections
- Introduction to the different Data Connection types
- How to join tables and the different join types
- Integrating data with cross-database Joins
- Combine data with different granularity - Data Blending
- How to blend data sources
- Appending rows from different tables using Unions
How Do I Create (Defined or Calculated) Subsets of my Data?
- How do I create, use and combine Sets?
- How do I show the Top X after applying a filter?
How Do Calculations Work And What Is LOD?
- Calculated fields vs Table Calculations
- How to create Calculated Fields
- Using Calculations as Join clauses for Tables
- Row level vs Aggregate Calculations
- Fixing "Cannot mix aggregate and non-aggregate" errors
- Changing the Level of Detail (LOD) of calculations - what, why and how
How Can I Define Table Calculations?
- What are Table Calculations?
- Scope and Direction of Table Calculations
- Using a Specific Dimension in a Table Calculation
- Statistical Analysis using Table Calculations
How Can I make Things Dynamic with Parameters?
- Where and how can I use Parameters?
- Combining Parameters with Reference Lines
- Combining Parameters and Filters
How Do I Create snapshots of my data with Data Extracts?
- Creating and running Data Extracts
How Do I Compare Progress between measures?
- Compare measures using a Bar-in-Bar Chart
- Compare progress towards a goal using a Bullet Graph
How Do I Customise Maps and Use Images?
- Map options
- Customising Map layers
- Correcting Geocode locations
- Using your own images for spatial analysis
- Using external files for mapping geometric boundaries
How Is My Data Distributed?
- Creating Bins and Histograms
- Creating a Box and Whisker Plot
How Can I See and Use Trends In My Data?
- How do I add Trend Lines to my data?
- How can I quickly analyse my data?
- How can I extend my data with a Forecast?
Improving Dashboards and Telling Data Stories
- Designing and building your dashboard
- Dashboard Best Practices
- Enabling users to ask questions
- Visual Best Practices
- Conveying data-driven Stories
This training course includes over 25 hands-on exercises to help participants "learn by doing" and to assist group discussions around real-life use cases. Each attendee receives an extensive training manual which covers the theory, practical applications and use cases, exercises and solutions.
Next Tableau Desktop Analyst courses:
11 - 12 February 19
04 - 05 April 19
Don't see a suitable schedule?
Let us know whether you are interested in an on-site course, or would be interested in different dates and locations.
What people are saying about this course:
"I would definitely recommend taking this course if you have a working knowledge of Tableau. Even the little tips Steve explains will make using Tableau a lot easier. Looking forward to putting what I've learned into practice." Aron F., Grove & Dean.
"Steve is an excellent teacher and has a vast knowledge of Tableau. I learned a huge amount over the two days that I can immediately apply at work." John B., Mporium.
"Steve not only provided a comprehensive explanation of the content of the course, but also allowed time for discussing particular business issues that participants may be facing. That was really useful as part of my learning process." Juan C., Financial Conduct Authority.
"Course was fantastic, and completely relevant to the work I am doing with Tableau. I particularly liked Steve's method of teaching and how he applied the course material to 'real-life' use-cases." Richard W., Dashboard Consulting Ltd.
"This course was extremely useful and excellent value. It helped me formalise my learning and I have taken a lot of useful tips away which will help me in everyday work." Lauren M., Baillie Gifford.
Whether you are new to Tableau or a seasoned user wanting to prepare for certification exams, we have a Tableau training course for you. We also offer bespoke business intelligence training and workshops using your own data so you not only see what Tableau can do, but you can ask and answer your real business questions while learning.
Our Tableau Qualified Associate expert covers all of the functionality knowledge that you would expect, and is flexible to focus on what you need. Through our training programmes, you will learn the skills to create beautiful visualisations, to ask and answer questions of your data, and learn lots about best practices and dashboard design along the way. Let our expert kick start your Tableau journey today.
- Tableau Desktop Foundation, 2 day course £495
- Tableau Desktop Analyst, 2 day course £495
- Tableau Web Editor, 1 day course £295
- Tableau Desktop Qualified Associate Preparation, 1 day course £395
- Visual Analytics Best Practice, 2 day course £595
We also offer course bundles and discounts for multiple attendees from your organisation, please contact us to discuss further.
Visual DJ runs Tableau Training courses every month. You can view the full calendar listings here.
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more about the training courses, or would like to enquire about on-site training at your company, please get in contact.