- This event has passed.
Visual Analytics Best Practice – 2 Day course, London
November 18, 2019 @ 9:30 am - November 19, 2019 @ 5:00 pm GMT
This course is very much a discussion, so be prepared to present and critically analyse your own and class mates work. You will also need to bring a few examples of work you have done in the past.
Learning and applying best practice visualisation principles will improve effective discussions amongst decision makers throughout your organisation. As a result more end-users of your dashboards will be able to make better decisions, more quickly.
This 2 Day training course is aimed at analysts with good working knowledge of BI tools (we use Tableau to present, but attendees can use their own software such as Power BI or Qlik Sense). It is a great preparation for taking advanced certifications, such as Tableau Certified Professional.
Topics covered include:
What is Visual Analysis?
- Visual Analytics
- Visual Analytics Process
- Advantages of Visual Analysis
- Exercise: Interpreting Visualisations
How do we process visual information?
- Memory and Processing Types
- Exercise: Identifying Types of Processing
- Cognitive Load
- Exercise: Analysing Cognitive Load
- Focus and Guide the Viewer
- Remove Visual Distractions
- Organise Information into Chunks
- Design for Proximity
- Exercise: Reducing Cognitive Load
- Pre-attentive Attributes
- Quantitatively-Perceived Attributes
- Categorically-Perceived Attributes
- Exercise: Analysing Pre-attentive Attributes
- Form & Attributes
- Exercise: Using Form Effectively
- Colour & Attributes
- Exercise: Using Colour Effectively
- Position & Attributes
- Exercise: Using Position Effectively
Ensuring visual integrity
- Informing without Misleading
- Gestalt Principles
- Visual Area
- Axis & Scale
- Exercise: Informing without Misleading
Choosing the right visualisation
- Comparing and Ranking Categories
- Comparing Measures
- Comparing Parts to Whole
- Viewing Data Over Time
- Charts Types for Mapping
- Viewing Correlation
- Viewing Distributions
- Viewing Specific Values
Dashboards and Stories
- Exercise: Picking the Chart Type
- Exercise: Brainstorming Visual Best Practice
- Development Process for Dashboards and Stories
- Plan the Visualisation
- Create the Visualisation
- Test the Visualisation
- Exercise: Designing Dashboards and Stories
This training course includes over 20 hands-on exercises to help participants “learn by doing” and to assist group discussions around real-life use cases.
What people are saying about this course:
“The course tutor Steve was incredibly helpful and taught the information very well while making the two days very enjoyable.” Bradd P.
“The host and his courses will give you the tools and confidence that you need to be comfortable with Tableau.”Jack S.
“Steve was fantastic with his knowledge and knowhow about the product. Where possible he made sure you could put demonstrations in to working practice, to give the audience a clear understanding.” Tim H.
“This was a very interesting and helpful course, which will definitely help me produce smarter, cleaner visualisations that will deliver more data-driven insights within our business.”Richard A.
“Steve is very open to questions and will go out of his way to answer any query. Thank you” Wasif N.
“Steve was willing to address questions arising from his content in a full and understandable way” Lisa L.
“Really enjoyed the course and feel the subject and the way it was taught was very close to my needs” James G.
The course starts at 09:30 on the first day and ends at 17:00. On the second day the course starts at 09:00 and ends at 17:00.
A comprehensive training manual is provided together with a USB with all the materials required for the training.
Students must bring their own laptop with an active version of Tableau Desktop 10.5 (or later) pre-installed.
Please contact the orgnaiser for group and not-for-profit pricing options.